Lenten update ~ Today’s random act of kindness presented itself at my feet, literally. This morning I was grabbing a coffee from a shopping centre coffee shop when someone bumped into a little girl next to me and spilled her babycino. Her Mum was waiting for some raisin toast and didn’t see the bump and scolded her for dropping her cup and making a mess. As I was finishing my order I asked the barista to make a babycino and gave it to her while her Mum was waiting. The Mum wasn’t very impressed and glared at me at first but I told her that her daughter didn’t drop the cup but was bumped. I wasn’t passing any judgement about the Mum as we have ALL been there. I simply wanted the child to have another shot at foam and sprinkles. I may have overstepped the mark as hubby told me I should butt out
This weekend certainly hasn’t felt like summer, but, the weather is funny and we have been known to get 30° degree days in May necessitating shorts and t shirts. But the thing I love most about summer are the tastes that I associate with the season. Berries, grapes, ice cream and lemons. I adore lemons and am dedicating this week to cooking with the summery treat. It has so many uses and makes a daily appearance in my water just to boost the flavour and make it feel a bit fancy.
Once again, this slow cooker recipe is very easy to prepare with the only real prep work being to chop a lemon and a few herbs. Pop it on and forget about it for hours while the lemony fragrance fills your kitchen. Enjoy!
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken ~ (serves 6)
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
10 chats potatoes
1 Tbls minced garlic garlic
1 lemon thinly sliced, seeds removed
1 & ½ cups gluten free chicken broth
1 onion chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
2 Tbls fresh chopped lemon thyme leaves
Place chicken breasts, potatoes, garlic, lemon, green beans, chicken broth, onion, salt, and pepper into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
Remove the lemon slices and chicken breasts and discard lemon. Shred the chicken and place back into crock pot.
Stir in the honey and Dijon then add parsley and thyme, stirring to combine.
What’s your favourite taste of summer? PS ~ The ice cream cake was a hit!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 10 chats potatoes
- 1 Tbls minced garlic garlic
- 1 lemon thinly sliced, seeds removed
- 1 & ½ cups gluten free chicken broth
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- 2 Tbls fresh chopped lemon thyme leaves
- Place chicken breasts, potatoes, garlic, lemon, green beans, chicken broth, onions salt, and pepper into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Remove the lemon slices and chicken breasts and discard lemon. Shred the chicken and place back into crock pot. Stir in the honey and Dijon then add parsley and thyme, stirring to combine.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Serve over rice, with salad or by itself.