POST UPDATE: Vegemite is NOT gluten free and was picked up by a reader (thank you!!). I don’t eat lamb or vegemite so I didn’t pick it. But don’t despair, as there is a gluten free alternative. Mighty Mite is available for this dish
Remember how Naomi Watts turned down Tom Cruise for the Sunday Roast? Not likely when the ad was released in 1989 but now I think it is plausible!
Let me be perfectly clear about this post…….I DO NOT like lamb. I do not like the look of it or the smell of it so there is no way I would like the taste of it. But, my family is about more than just my tastes and my husband grew up eating A LOT of meat, including lamb. In fact, one of his favourite meals is crumbed lamb cutlets that I’ve made all of about 4 times in the 20 years we have been together (It’s much more palatable to make them on the bbq rather than stinking up the house).
Lamb is a staple in Oz and, when discussing the options for All Aussie week with friends, a very talented BBQ-er suggested this recipe which turned out really well. When the gift of a huge food parcel arrived courtesy of the dancing daughter’s friends’ family and it included a leg of lamb, the fate of this dish could no longer be denied. Several phone calls to the MASTER of the BBQ (my Dad ) later for advice and I was on my way. Very favourable reviews from the main taste tester *and* his mother followed
What better way to have a Sunday Roast for All Aussie Week than combining two classic flavours of Oz in an unexpected BBQ delight.
Vegemite Lamb Roast ~ Serves 6-8
1 x Leg of Lamb Roast
1 x jar of vegemite
1 package of whole pepper corns
½ cup gluten free Worchestershire sauce
Place the lamb in the pan. Rub the entire roast with vegemite and apply the peppercorns by the handful all over the outside. Cover with foil.
Place the pan in the BBQ and cook for approximately 1 hour. Remove the foil and cook for 15-30 minutes to preference.
Allow the meat to rest for approximately 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Hubby said it wasn’t half Baaaaaaa – d (You know I had to do it. It wouldn’t be right to have this post without a Bad Dad Lamb joke!)
- 1 x Leg of Lamb Roast
- 1 x jar of vegemite
- 1 package of whole pepper corns
- ½ cup gluten free Worchestershire sauce
- Preheat the BBQ to approximately 200 degrees. Place some water and the Worchestershire sauce in the bottom of a foil roasting pan and place a roasting rack on top.
- Place the lamb in the pan. Rub the entire roast with vegemite and apply the peppercorns by the handful all over the outside. Cover with foil.
- Place the pan in the BBQ and cook for approximately 1 hour. Remove the foil and cook for 15-30 minutes to preference.
- Allow the meat to rest for approximately 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Follow these topics: Main dishes